Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday, June 15, 2013


Saturday, June 15, 2013
The peonies popped open last night..
The perfect weather and a ride we took over Sally’s field, inspired Martin who is u p for the weekend, to cut some hay. He limed his sister’s field last year aad it has responded with nice thick grass..
Amy, Martin, the kids and I had dinner here. I served braised lamb neck bones (scragg end), a superb dish when cooked long enough which this was.
Sunday, June 16, 2013
Agnes, the ewe that was mother to the twin lambs that died, still has quite a bit of milk. I tried milking her this morning.. I didn’t get much but it was evident to me that she could easily be made into a milker. She is easily handled when tied. She just needs to be desensitized with rubbing her udder so she got used to being handled.
The weather for the first part of the today was good for drying hay. Martin was able to rake and cut yesterday’s hay and by 3 o’clock was baling..

We were a small team, just Martin, Amy Abby and I. I did the easy job, just tipping the bales off the top end of the elevator. By 4:30 it was in the barn. It started to rain the moment the last bale went up the elevator.

DD Marcia hosted a lovely dinner at camp. Martin and Amy had to get home because of the kids’ school but Mitra, Roshan and Mitra’s parents Marie and Alex and our cousins Holly and Richard were present. Shireen has started her summer job at Kawanhee boys’ camp so we did not see her.. Marcia made pasta with her machine and served it with a primavera sauce.
Monday, June 17, 2013
We had alternate rain and sun.
My writing is a struggle. But I got some done. DS Bret and old friend Billie Berten sent me reminders that it was the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Pacific Sun newspaper in Marin County CA. Merril and I founded this paper together. It has now had a couple of different owners but is still going strong.
http://www.pacificsun.com/marin/life_in_marin/article_7ac2b2ac-cd61-11e2-ac97-001a4bcf6878.html
Tuesday, June 18, 2013s
Abby planted the last of the squashes today. I think she said she had planted nine varieties.
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Marcia’s salad garden is a thing of beauty. Magazines put gardens like hers on the cover.
We have had two day s of perfect weather Nancy and I walked the electric fence line. The pasture looks lovely with wild flowers among the grass.. Nancy took both of the trimmers for repair and trey are now working well.
Fern was down a quart today for no reason I could detect.
Friday, June 21, Summer solstice and Martin’s birthday
Marcia and I took the day in Farmington. Marcia picked up some furniture for her guest rooms. We were too late for Mitra’s farmer’s market, a disappointment, but we had a good time shopping.
Fern’s production is back up.
Abby's corn is well up.
*****************************************************
Visit real-food.com to learn more about Joann or to purchase Keeping a Family Cow

No comments:

Post a Comment