Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday, September 16, 2012Yesterday (Saturday) Nancy H walked the north fence line all the way around Pocket Field and found that it needed very little help. Now the gate is open but the critters haven’t noticed. Tomorrow DD Abby is going to lead them down there. I want them to have that lovely grass. Frost was predicted for last night but we didn’t get it. Tonight the warnings were even more specific so I dragged in all the potted plants. Abby picked more tomatoes and some sunflowers. It really does  not seem very cold. It has been a beautiful day. Abby made an apple  pie.with flavor enhanced by  reduced cider I made last week.
 Monday, September 17, 2012We did get frost last night.  It went to about 30F. It took all the leaves on the squash and cukes but that was to be expected. I had moved the potted plants into the carriage house and Abby put sheets over several things. The cows failed to notice that they had access to the Pocket Field. Abby finally led the cows and sheep down there late this afternoon. They were all thrilled.  DD Marcia in Sonoma County CA sent a picture of one of her roosters. Murray. She ssays, “He has taken over motherly duties to the three Sebright chicks and one black silkie. He is just adorable. I have NEVER owned a sweeter chickie. He is a Polish. He is living in the rabbit pen now as he is scared to death of the layers and Bertie Wooster.”            Bertie is a Rhode Island Red, I think.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012Ferny Fern was so in heat this morning that it took me a half hour to separate her from Milton (who wasn’t helping) to get her in for milking. I got them into the Beefer Pen, the big room where the hay ring is, but then getting her the rest of the way into where we milk was a challenge. The hay ring takes up the middle of the room and round and round we went, 20 times, no exaggeration and I could not get her to turn aside and go the rest of the way in. I was so sweaty! Even after I got her in to the milking room she ignored her grain and would not put her head in the stanchion for a long time. I guess she had to weigh the satisfaction of racing around with Milton against eating her grain. I stood quietly blocking the door holding my ski pole until she finally made up her mind. Once I had her locked in she was her usual perfect self. Dear cousins Holly and Richard came for a goodby lunch, bringing all the food. Richard made a very fine pizza and a cake called blueberry buckle. They are about to leave their summer place and return to Minneapolis where they are active members of the chorus and theater community. In the late afternoon I went out with the wagon and harvested the squash. Frost is predicted for tomorrow following rain tonight so I thought  it best to get them in. I filled half the wagon. This is about half of last year’s crop but I think will be plenty. A wind driven rain has hit so it’s a dark and stormy night.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012It rained and blew hard all night but is quiet this morning. Fern is once again her old self. After milking she led a stately march down to Pocket Field, stopping on the way to have a drink from the little stream before gliding off with Milton and the sheep to graze. We went to Rumford for my new glasses. On the way home we bought big pots of chrysanthemums. There is a new moon and the coyotes are howling in a chorus.
Thursday, September 20, 2012It did not get as cold as predicted, only down to 32F here at the house with very little  new damage. Abby made butter today. I potted up my rosemary plant for the winter. It has done well. I have been reading James Howard Kuntsler’s new book, Too Much Magic. :Wishful thinking, technology and the fate of the nation.  Once again, he nails it. My new glasses for use at the computer are a big improvement.
Friday, September 21, 20129:30 AM I have not milked Fern yet. Both bovines and all 6 sheep are down in Pocket Field enjoying the grass so much that they are ignoring my calls. Some fence repair would control this.10:30 AM.  The sheep finally paid attention  to me and came bounding home. Fern said,”Oh well, if you insist”, and trundled along fairly soon too. She was up a half gallon from yesterday.  I picked the last of the beans and cukes. Abby and I dug a few potatoes. Our backs gave out after digging about 15 pounds. They are beautiful potatoes. Last month the vines were struck by blight so not many are large. They are clean but of course could not get bigger once the leaves were dead. Martin and the kids arrived for supper. I had braised some breast of lamb, made Bret’s Spanish rice recipe, cooked some of the beans and Abby made a corn pudding. The kids were pretty lively.

No comments:

Post a Comment